Friday, January 2, 2015

Officially The Worst Mom Ever.

So yesterday Gigi (my mom) took the kids out to go "skating" (Xiaden has been jonesing for a snowball fight all winter. I tried to have a soap bubble fight but it didn't trick her - skating was the next best thing for her) so they bundled up and got warm and fuzzy, and trekked out into the wilderness that is our front yard. They flooded back in and both the kids are crying. The baby and I are cuddled up in a chair under a blanket and my mom is trying to reason with the tiny humans, saying they have to come inside for a minute to warm up.

Xiaden, my smart little debater, starts asking her why, why, why. Finally my mom says "If you stay out there your fingers will get so cold and turn black and fall off."
and Xia and Kam are both like "Whatever, you liar" and so I ask them if they want to see.
I pull up google and show them this...

which I am not entirely sure is actually frostbite, but it scared them enough to stop wanting to go outside.
actually, it scared Kam even more than a little. The guy was petrified. Like, balling, hiding in my mom's lap.
Xiaden walks up to Gigi and tells her they need to warm up or their fingers will fall off. And Gigi says " oh I think you'll be okay, except maybe this finger, it's black."
and Xiaden is seriously freaking out. "What."
and looks at her finger, which is black under the finger nail because of a finger vs. car door battle she lost last week. And she's freaking out until she realizes that it was black before she went outside and laughs at her Gigi, and says we tricked her.

Then mom is looking at Kam's fingers and notices that my little nail biter has an infection around his nail on his thumb.
So, I say "come here, Kam. I wanna look at your fingers." And he starts wailing. He does not want to come anywhere near me. He's horrified.

So of course I say "I just want to cut it off."
...
my son's eyes widen and he hides in my mom's shoulder and is just freaking the truck out.
so after I coax him into my lap after a while, and I'm looking at this swollen red finger and of course I push on it and puss oozes out. He starts crying and I said "Do I need to find some scissors?'
and I have to pin the kid down.
then we put his finger into a shot glass of peroxide, which he was not happy about.



he was less than pleased.  Of course, smarty pants Xiaden hears me telling Kamden he can't bite his finger nails anymore because it gives him owies, and he agrees. Xiaden comes up and says "Yeah Kam you can't bite your fingers or they'll fall off." Which results in another panic attack, (as I laugh behind his head) Then he didn't want to take his thumb out of the peroxide after an hour, and my mom says she wants to put a different medicine and a band aid on it, and for one reason or another Kamden absolutely does not want a band aid on his thumb. But we stuck it on him anyway and he was just fine.

and that, ladies and gents, is how you traumatize your children.


No comments:

Post a Comment