Tuesday, August 19, 2014

6 months.

I have just come to the startling realization that my blog is 6 months old!!! I feel this blog is my baby or something. I dig it.
I also dig babies.
So, as a completely random post, I am going to discuss how my children got their names.

Xiaden Fayelise

Okay, I went through about 18 billion names to get to this. There was one pretty big contender, Zaedy (and sometimes I still wish I went with this one. But I have a first cousin named Raeannon and her little brother's name is Zane.... too close.) There was a point when I firmly believed she was actually a he, and his name was going to be William (After my papa) Kylor (after my brothers, KYle & tyLOR) Luckily she wasn't a boy, because Kylor/Kyler got really popular like a year later, so whatever.
Xiaden. I didn't like Xaiden. It didn't make sense to me, the X  + i  = z sound. aden makes the sound Aden, and the i was superfluous in aiden, so I switched them to make more sense. Of course, that caused a lot of confusion for the world, but I stand by my saying that it's correct. Sure, I could have gone with Zaden, but it just looks to... masculine. Call me weird, whatever.
Anyway, Faye is a hand me down middle name in my family. I love it, I love the idea. But Xiaden Faye... Uhm. It didn't sound quite right. Actually, I briefly considered dropping Faye all together, because I was upset that I couldn't pick out my own kid's middle name (but mom pouted, and being the first daughter is a big deal) I wanted Xiaden Elise. I love it, still. But Xiaden Fayelise (you see what I did there? Mhmm) just is perfect. And if you've ever met my Xiaden, you know she's one of a kind... just like her name :)

Kamden Onyx

okay. Well, I'll be honest and say that this is the only name I actually had to take input on. I was with Shayne when I was pregnant with Xiaden, but he didn't pretend he had any input in her name, and I didn't either. But Kam... Kamden was a rollercoaster, that caused my friends and family to all not trust me. I can't even remember all the names that were discussed, (Shayne Kendall Jr. was briefly considered) but we landed on Archer Kamden. That is what we picked. Then a week after out baby shower, Shayne decided he didn't like Archer as a first name, so we switched it. (This caused an uproar) But Kamden Archer did sound better than vice versa. Then, when I was in the delivery room, in labor, Shayne tells me he didn't like Archer at all.
......
Okay, this was his first kid, and it was the first boy in the generation. So I pulled out my phone out and started throwing names out (I will admit, I was looking for words with X's in them... It's my favorite letter.) and Onyx came out and Shayne liked it. It doesn't make much sense, because onyx is black and my son is whiter than Whitey McWhite White. But I think it has a nice ring to it.

Rhyselle Adalei

Okay. I thought I was having a boy again. I really did. I wanted a William Atticus, or an Atticus Rhys (pronounced Reese. It's Welsh, or something) or an Alistair Torque (which is still probably my favorite, and if I'm ever crazy enough to have another kid and it is a boy, I'm pushing for Alistair Torque, because it's just a bad ass boy name) or something cool like that. Then it was a girl. Okay. Steffie threw a fit that I didn't want a -den name (something that was completely not planned with Xia & Kam) So for a while I was going to have a Lynden Raylee (Lynden means lemon tree or something... uhm. Not cute. But Lyn would be cute. Xia, Kam & Lyn. But no.) (Ray is Tylor's middle name, Lee is Kyle's. But at this point in my life, I had discovered my third brother, and his middle name is Paul, which just wasn't going to work.) I had originally planned on Quora (Kora) Adalee (ay duh lee) but it sounded like Quran, but I'm not Muslim... so no... Just no. I latched on to Rhys. (and my other two have 6 letters in their names, and I thought just Rhyssie, or Rhizzie, but there's not many options to shorten that or come up with any other nick names. Xia got Xiadey, Kam has always been Kamman, but Rhyssie would have just been Rhyssie, because Rhyssie is a nickname for.. well, I had to figure out what the real name would be.)
I settled on Rhys (which is a boy's name) and Elle (which is definitely girly) that way, Rhys can do whatever she wants with it. Rhys, which is fine, Rhyssie, Elle, Ellie (I wanted her nickname to be Ellie, but my daughter is not an Ellie, she is definitely a Rhyssie.) Adalei... I don't know. I took Adalee and made it Hawaiian or something. I don't know. But it flows well, and it passed the yell test**

So, there are my babies names, on my baby blog's 6 month birthday ;)

Yell Test: You yell the name out loud to make sure that when they're in trouble, it comes out clearly and sounds intimidating and not like a hippie on drugs stumbling over their tongue. The Yell Test is important and has always been instrumental in picking out names) Archer Kamden failed the yell test. Kamden Archer passed. Yell them out loud. You will understand


Note: I have names for twins picked out. 
Atticus Turbo & Alistair Torque (judge me, I dare you.)
Skye Fari & Siela Fate (Judge me again.)

I want my (nonexistent and totally improbable) twins to have the same initials.
Skye & Siela (Ciel is sky in french.)
Fari is Speak in latin, which happens to be Fate's origination.

Atticus (uh, to kill a mockingbird) & Alistair (uh, Harry Potter)
Turbo & Torque are both car terms.

I'm awesome, kay?

byeeee, Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment