Monday, March 9, 2015

Twofer

Aren't you lucky? Two blogs in one day? Wow!
I don't remember if I told the blogity blog world that six months ago, I inherited a turtle.

He's very tiny. Shellyfish won him at a carnival and after a week or two of feeling like the turtle was watching her, she gave him to me.
Because I like turtles, okay?
They make me happy.
Well... I spoiled him. I got him all the right food (not that Shelly didn't have the right food, she just didn't have... all of it.)
And I got him a turtle dock.
Calcium supplements. A filter. Turtle block.  Water treating chemicals. The whole shebang of what the internet told me were the basic necessities.
But well, it didn't change the fact that he was living in a 10 gallon fish tank.
So, after a malfunction with his filter (okay, Rhyssie turned the power strip off) for a day some nasty green sludge started to grow. Because let me tell you.
Turtles are super mcnasty.
Like, I'm not even sure the body to poop ratio could ever be proportionate, but seriously... gross.
They stink.
So, even after I restarted the filter... it got very green...
And Gross.
And I do not touch gross things.

So, I began reading up on how to clean turtle tanks and it became painfully obvious that I was going to have to touch gross things.
Then, as I sat one day and watched him swim around in his 10 gallon fish tank, I realized that he had grown... Like a lot.
So I started looking this up.

Okay, so apparently fish tanks and turtle tanks are different.
Fish tanks are higher.
Turtle tanks are longer.
AND
turtles are supposed to have 20 gallon tanks... minimum.
So basically that's why my tiny turtle was able to poop so much and completely destroy his tiny little home.
So I saw an opportunity, just this once, to get my way. Mwahahahaha.

I went to petsmart and got a twenty gallon long tank.
And I got to decorate it how I want. And I got a cool camouflaged filter that looks like a pretty cool rock formation, I got a bigger turtle dock, I got real plants! and fake plants. And cool smooth pebbles. And TANKMATES.
I did a bit of research before choosing Turtle's new roommates.
And I got guppies.
He may eat them. And that would make my kids sad, but it'd be cool, because it means Turtle is growing up! (if you're wondering, yes, my turtle's name is Turtle.) We're that awesome and creative.

So, this is Turtle in his new home.
he's pissed at me because Tylor scooped him up in a cup and dumped him in strange and unfamiliar Turtle Paradise.

Here are Turtle's tankmates. They're guppies. Guppies are pretty fast so he may not be able to catch them in order to eat them. Mwahahha.

Turtle PAradise. It has my cool filter there in the corner, the assorted Turtle safe real plants and a few colorful fake ones... hopefully the fish figure out camouflage...

Kamden is carefully watching the plants to make sure one doesn't float up.

And my sweet Xiaden loves the guppies... yes she knows the turtle might eat them. She hopes not, though.

So there! That's a little more exciting than "OMG, work sucks, I have nothing to do for spring break because it seems that everything is working against me, does anyone want to go to the zoo this saturday and sunday in abilene because my mom can't and because I have to DJ a party on Friday, and wahhhhhhhhh I have no life why can't my ex husband just actually be a dad and take my kids for a whole freaking weekend so I can do regular 22 year old stuff like sleep in and hang out with my friends and go bowling and dancing and act like I have a life even though I really don't, everything sucks!" blog I was going to write earlier, hey? Turtles are cooler than whining.

No comments:

Post a Comment